- thermal insulation for wrapping around pipes, boilers, etc.
- a wood framework to support an arch while it is being built
- Mining planks or timber used to prevent rocks from falling in a shaft or drift
Origin of laggingfrom lag + -ing
- a. A covering used to provide thermal insulation, as from a steam pipe.b. A similar covering used to provide acoustical insulation, as on an air duct.
- a. A plank or set of planks forming the outer surface of a centering for the construction of an arch.b. Any of various structural members or materials used as a protective sheathing, as on the ceiling of a mine tunnel or around a boiler.
Origin of laggingFrom lag 2
(comparative more lagging, superlative most lagging)
- falling behind, not keeping up the pace
- Occurring after; indicating the later phase of
(usually uncountable, plural laggings)
- Present participle of lag.