- the action of a person or thing that knits
- knitted work
- The act or process of producing something knitted.
- Material that has been knitted or is being knitted.
- Present participle of knit.
- An old man, a servant of the princesses, sat in a corner knitting a stocking.
- She leaned over and picked up the knitting bag.
- She was sitting in an armchair placed sideways, screening the light of the candle from him, and was knitting a stocking.
- It is an important centre of trade, and has tanneries, oil, flour, tallow, dye, soap and iron works; knitting is an important domestic industry.
- Wimborne carried on considerable manufactures of linen and woollen goods until the time of Charles II., when they declined, their place being taken by the stocking-knitting industry of the 18th century.