- An example of a rem is a unit used after body tissue is exposed to gamma rays.
- An example of REM is the time of dreaming and deep sleep.
Origin of remr(oentgen) e(quivalent), m(an)
Origin of REMr(apid) e(ye) m(ovement)
- The amount of ionizing radiation required to produce the same biological effect as one rad of high-penetration x-rays.
- A unit for measuring absorbed doses of radiation, equivalent to one roentgen of x-rays or gamma rays.
Origin of remr(oentgen) e(quivalent in) m(an).
Origin of REMr(apid) e(ye) m(ovement).
- rapid eye movement, a sleep state.
As an acronym, this is almost always capitalized.
- Continued use of the rem is "strongly discouraged" by the style guide of the US National Institute of Standards and Technology.
Abbreviation of Roentgen equivalent in man.
- (knitting) remaining
- rapid eye movement
From the initial letters of rapid eye movement.
Shortened from remaining.
Shortened from remark.
- (chemistry) rare earth metal(s).
Shortened from rare earth metal.