- The definition of jive is to talk in a way that is insincere or exaggerated in an attempt to fool people.
To jive is to tell a group of people about a wealthy relative that you really don't have just because you want to impress them.
Origin: altered from jibe: sense development, to taunt—banter—improvise—swing (music)
- Slang talk used in jiving someone
- jazzor swing (c. 1930-45)
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Jazz or swing music.b. The jargon of jazz musicians and enthusiasts.
- Slang Deceptive, nonsensical, or glib talk: “the sexist, locker-room jive of men boasting and bonding” (Trip Gabriel).
- To play or dance to jive music.
- Slang a. To talk nonsense; kid.b. To talk or chat: “You just jive in one big group, putting each other on, trying to top the last line” (Time).
Origin: Origin unknown.
- jivˈer noun
- jivˈey, jivˈy adjective