- The definition of a jig is a fishing bait with one or two hooks and a jerking motion that sinks to the bottom of the water.
An example of a jig is what someone fishing off the side of a pier would use as bait.
- The definition of a jig is an energetic folk dance, or a template used with a saw for woodworking.
- An example of a jig is Irish set dancing.
- An example of a jig is a pattern for a curve which is used to create multiple curved shelves.
- Jig means to dance quickly by moving up and down.
An example of jig is the movement of Irish folk dancers.
A group of people dancing a jig.
jig definition by Webster's New World
- a fast, springy sort of dance, usually in triple time
- the music for such a dance
- any of various fishing lures that are jiggled up and down in the water
- any of several mechanical devices operated in a jerky manner, as a sieve for separating ores, a pounding machine, or a drill
- a device, often with metal surfaces, used as a guide for a tool or as a template
Origin: probably ; from Middle French giguer, to gambol, dance ; from gigue, a fiddle ; from Middle High German giga (akin to Old Norse gigja) ; from Old High German an unverified form gigan (from source German dialect, dialectal geigen), to move back and forth
jig definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Any of various lively dances in triple time.b. The music for such a dance. Also called gigue.
- A joke or trick. Used chiefly in the phrase The jig is up.
- A typically metal fishing lure with one or more hooks, usually deployed with a jiggling motion on or near the bottom.
- An apparatus for cleaning or separating crushed ore by agitation in water.
- A device for guiding a tool or for holding machine work in place.
- To dance or play a jig.
- To move or bob up and down jerkily and rapidly.
- To operate a jig.
- To bob or jerk (something) up and down or to and fro.
- To machine (an object) with the aid of a jig.
- To separate or clean (ore) by shaking a jig.
Origin: Origin unknown.
noun Offensive Slang
Origin: Probably shortening of jigaboo.
jig - Phrases/Idioms
in jig timeâ
the jig is upâ
in jig time