A fleece jacket.
jacket definition by Webster's New World
- a short coat, usually with sleeves
- an outer coating or covering; specif.,
- dust jacket
- ☆ a cardboard holder for a phonograph record
- the metal casing of a bullet
- the insulating casing on a pipe or boiler
- the skin of a potato, etc.
- ☆ a folder or envelope for holding letters or documents
Origin: Middle English jaket ; from Old French jaquette, diminutive of jaque ; from Spanish jaco ; from Arabic shakk
- to put a jacket, or coat, on
- to cover with a casing, wrapper, etc.
jacket definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A short coat usually extending to the hips.
- An outer covering or casing, especially:a. The skin of a potato.b. The dust jacket of a book or phonograph record.c. An insulation covering for a steam pipe, wire, boiler, or similar part.d. An open envelope or folder for filing papers.e. The outer metal shell or case of a bullet.
Origin: Middle English jaket, from Old French jaquet, diminutive of jaque, short jacket, tunic, from jacques, nickname for French peasants (from the name Jacques; see Jack ) or from Old Catalan jaco (perhaps from Arabic šakk, mailcoat).
- jackˈet·ed adjective
jacket - Computer Definition
See cable jacket.
A plastic housing that contains a floppy disk. The 5.25" disk is built into a flexible jacket; the 3.5" disk uses a rigid jacket.
jacket - Medical Definition
- A fixed bandage applied around the body to immobilize the spine.
- An artificial crown of a tooth composed of fired porcelain or acrylic resin.