- a person who reefs
- a short, thick, double-breasted coat in the style of a seaman's jacket
Origin of reeferby analogy with the rolled reef of a sailSlang a marijuana cigarette
Origin of reeferaltered contr. of refrigerator
- A short, heavy, close-fitting, double-breasted jacket.
- A close-fitting, single-breasted or double-breasted coat.
- Nautical A person, such as a midshipman, who reefs.
Origin of reeferOrigin unknown
- A conveyance, such as a railroad car or truck trailer, that carries cargo under refrigeration.
- A refrigerator.
Origin of reeferAlteration of refrigerator
From reef +"Ž -er.
Shortened form of refrigerator.
Origin uncertain. Perhaps compare regional Spanish grifa (“cannabis") (Mexico), grifo (“someone who smokes cannabis") (Central America).