- The definition of intensity is the quality of being very strong, concentrated or difficult or the degree to which something is difficult or strong.
- An example of intensity is having the ability to run miles on end at a top speed.
- An example of intensity is how quickly a treadmill is moving.
- the quality of being intense; specif.,
- extreme degree of anything
- great energy or vehemence of emotion, thought, or activity
- degree or extent; relative strength, magnitude, vigor, etc.
- saturation (sense )
- Physics the amount of force or energy of heat, light, sound, electric current, etc. per unit area, volume, charge, etc.
Origin: ML intensitas
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. in·ten·si·ties
- Exceptionally great concentration, power, or force.
- Physics The amount or degree of strength of electricity, light, heat, or sound per unit area or volume.
- a. The strength of a color, especially the degree to which it lacks its complementary color.b. See saturation.