- The definition of intensive is concentrated or strongly focused on a specific thing.
- An example of something that would be described as intensive is a month long, detailed study of a book, an intensive study.
- An example of something that would be described as intensive is intensive care, a level of care given to critically ill hospital patients.
intensive definition by Webster's New World
- increasing or causing to increase in degree or amount
- of or characterized by intensity; thorough, profound, and intense; concentrated or exhaustive
- designating care of an especially attentive nature given to critically ill hospital patients, typically in a special ward ()
- Agric. designating a system of farming which aims at the increase of yield per acre by using increased labor, capital, etc.
- Gram. giving force or emphasis; emphasizing: “very” in “the very same man” is an intensive adverb
Origin: Midieval Latin intensious ; from Classical Latin intensus: see intense and amp; -ive
- anything that intensifies
- an intensive word, prefix, etc.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intensively using, requiring large amounts of, or concentrating within itself large amounts of (a specified thing): energy-intensive
intensive definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of, relating to, or characterized by intensity: intensive training. See Usage Note at intense.
- Grammar Tending to emphasize or intensify: an intensive adverb.
- Possessing or requiring to a high degree. Often used in combination: research-intensive; labor-intensive.
- Relating to or being a method especially of land cultivation intended to increase the productivity of a fixed area by means of an increase in capital and labor.
- Physics Having the same value for any subdivision of a thermodynamic system: intensive pressure.
A linguistic element, such as the adverb extremely or awfully, that provides force or emphasis. Also called intensifier.
- in·tenˈsive·ly adverb
- in·tenˈsive·ness noun