- The definition of intemperate is excessive and not mild, or indulging in alcohol to an extreme level.
- Weather where it is freezing and snowing one day and 90 degrees the next is an example of intemperate or extreme weather.
- When you consume five beers in one sitting, this is an example of an intemperate occasion.
- not temperate; specif.,
- not moderate; lacking restraint; excessive
- severe or violent; inclement: an intemperate wind
- drinking too much alcoholic liquor
Origin: L intemperatus
- intemperately adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- in·temˈper·ate·ly adverb
- in·temˈper·ate·ness noun