An example of infrastructure is the basic roads and power lines for a new housing development.
Origin of infrastructureinfra- + structure
- An underlying base or foundation especially for an organization or system.
- The basic facilities, services, and installations needed for the functioning of a community or society, such as transportation and communications systems, water and power lines, and public institutions including schools, post offices, and prisons.
infrastructure - Computer Definition
(1) The fundamental structure of a system or organization. The basic, fundamental architecture of any system (electronic, mechanical, social, political, etc.) determines how it functions and how flexible it is to meet future requirements.
(2) May refer to system and development programs in contrast to applications. A computer system's infrastructure would include the operating system, database management system (DBMS), communications protocols, compilers and other development tools.
infrastructure - Investment & Finance Definition
- The physical underpinning of a country that support activities and transportation, such as roads, railways, electrical systems, and so on.
- In contemporary jargon, the basic abilities and structure of a company.