- The definition of inflammable is something that catches fire easily, or a person or thing that gets excited easily.
- An example of inflammable is gasoline.
- An example of inflammable is the dog breed Chihuahua.
Gasoline is inflammable.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- easily roused, provoked, or excited
Origin: Fr from Midieval Latin inflammabilis from Classical Latin inflammare: see inflame
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Easily ignited and capable of burning rapidly; flammable. See Usage Note at flammable.
- Quickly or easily aroused to strong emotion; excitable.
Origin: Middle English, liable to inflammation, from Medieval Latin īnflammābilis, from Latin īnflammāre, to inflame; see inflame.
- in·flamˌma·bilˈi·ty noun
- in·flamˈma·ble noun
- in·flamˈma·bly adverb