- Hallow is defined as to make or regard as holy or sacred.
An example of to hallow is to have respect for the cross.
- to make holy or sacred; sanctify; consecrate
- to regard as holy; honor as sacred; venerate
Origin: Middle English halowen from Old English halgian (used for Classical Latin sanctificare) from Germanic base of halig (see holy): akin to German heiligen
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb hal·lowed, hal·low·ing, hal·lows
- To make or set apart as holy.
- To respect or honor greatly; revere.
Origin: Middle English halwen, from Old English hālgian; see kailo- in Indo-European roots.