Informal an energetic attack on, or pursuit of, someone or something by a group
Origin of feeding frenzyin allusion to the behavior of sharks
- A period of intense or excited feeding, as by sharks.
- Excited activity by a group, especially around a focal point: “The media swirled and boiled around the newlyweds in a kind of all-out feeding frenzy” (James Kaplan).
(plural feeding frenzies)
- A wild, turbulent situation in which multiple sharks or other predatory fish attack a food species simultaneously in competition with each other.
- When the terrified, bleeding cow was washed overboard into the river, the hungry piranhas entered a feeding frenzy, churning the water red with blood.
- (by extension) A voracious competition among would-be purchasers, etc. for limited resources.
- The manager hesitated to open the doors to the thronging holiday crowds, knowing that a feeding frenzy would soon ensue near the display of coveted toys.