- game that may lawfully be hunted
- any legitimate object of attack or pursuit
- (idiomatic) Actions permissible by the rules.
- Pretending to be slow is fair game. Pretending to be injured is not.
- The referee ruled the unprecedented play fair game.
- (idiomatic) A goal or an object that may legitimately be sought.
- After the middle sister's call from a friend's house, her slice of cake was fair game.
- (idiomatic) An acceptable subject of criticism, scrutiny, or mockery.
- Anyone running for office is fair game for criticism.
- Used other than as an idiom: see fair, game.: a game that is fair, that does not involve cheating, etc.