- of an elephant or elephants
- like an elephant in size or gait; huge, heavy, slow, clumsy, ungainly, etc.
Origin of elephantineClassical Latin elephantinus from Classical Greek elephantinos
- Of or relating to an elephant.
- Enormous in size or strength: “the proliferation of superstores, superstadiums, [and] elephantine convention centers” ( Herbert Muschamp )
- Ponderously clumsy.
(comparative more elephantine, superlative most elephantine)
- Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of elephants.
- Very large.
- Of, from, or pertaining to Elephantine or the Elephantine people.