- The definition of ecstatic is in a state of great delight or joy.
An example of ecstatic is the feeling a couple has when their first child is born.
An ecstatic woman.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- of, having the nature of, or characterized by ecstasy
- causing, or caused by, ecstasy
- subject to ecstasy
Origin: Midieval Latin ecstaticus ; from Classical Greek ekstatikos
- ecstatically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Marked by or expressing ecstasy.
- Being in a state of ecstasy; joyful or enraptured.
Origin: French extatique, from Greek ekstatikos, from ekstasis, distraction; see Ecstasy .
- ec·statˈi·cal·ly adverb