- of the orgiastic nature of the Dionysia; wild, frenzied, and sensuous
- of any of several historical figures named Dionysus
- Greek Mythology a. Of or relating to Dionysus.b. Of or devoted to the worship of Dionysus.
- often dionysian Of an ecstatic, orgiastic, or irrational nature; frenzied or undisciplined: “remained the nearest to the instinctual, the irrational in music, and thus to the Dionysian spirit in art” ( Musco Carner )
- often dionysian In the philosophy of Nietzsche, of or displaying creative-intuitive power as opposed to critical-rational power.
Origin of DionysianFrom Latin Dionésius from Greek Dionūsios from Dionūsos Dionysus
(comparative more dionysian, superlative most dionysian)
- Of or pertaining to Dionysius.
- Alternative form of dionysian.