a small, typically ring-shaped cake of sweetened, leavened dough, fried in deep fat
Origin of doughnutdough + nut: so named from original nutlike shape
- A small ring-shaped cake made of rich, light dough that is fried in deep fat.
- Something whose form is reminiscent of a ring-shaped cake.
- A fast, tight 360° turn made in a motor vehicle or motorized boat.
Origin of doughnutdough earlier nut a small rounded cake or cookie ; see nut.
- A deep-fried piece of dough or batter, commonly of a toroidal (a ring doughnut) often mixed with various sweeteners and flavourings; or flattened sphere (a filled doughnut) shape filled with jam, custard or cream.
- Anything in the shape of a torus.
- (North America) A peel-out or skid mark in the shape of a circle; a 360-degree skid.
- A spare car tyre, usually stored in the boot, that is smaller than a full sized tyre and is only intended for temporary use.