This man is a blood donor.
- A person who gives $100 to charity is an example of a donor.
- A person who gives his blood in a blood drive to be used when transfusions are needed is an example of a blood donor.
The definition of a donor is someone who gives something away or makes a gift.
- a person who donates; giver
- one from whom blood for transfusion, tissue for grafting, etc. is taken
- an atom that contributes a pair of electrons to another atom to form a covalent bond with it
Origin of donorMiddle English and Anglo-French donour from Classical Latin donator
- One that contributes something, such as money, to a cause or fund.
- Medicine An individual from whom blood, tissue, or an organ is taken for transfusion, implantation, or transplant.
- Chemistry An atom, molecule, or ion that provides a part to combine with an acceptor, especially an atom that provides two electrons to form a bond with another atom.
- Electronics An element introduced into a semiconductor with a negative valence greater than that of the pure semiconductor.
Medicine Used for transfusion, implantation, or transplant: a donor organ.
Origin of donorMiddle English from Anglo-Norman donour from Latin dōnātor from dōnāre to give ; see donation .
- One who donates, typically, money.
- a carbonyl donor molecule
donor - Legal Definition
- The maker of a gift.
- One who creates a trust. See also settlor.