- The definition of disconsolate is someone who cannot be comforted, or is a place or thing that offers no comforts.
- When a person is very sad and cannot be comforted or made happy, this is an example of someone who would be described as disconsolate.
- When a hotel room is barren and offers no comforts, it is an example of a place that would be described as disconsolate.
- so unhappy that nothing will comfort; inconsolable; dejected
- causing or suggesting dejection; cheerless
Origin of disconsolateMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin disconsolatus ; from Classical Latin dis- + consolatus, past participle of consolari: see dis- and amp; console
- Seeming beyond consolation; extremely dejected: disconsolate at the loss of the dog. See Synonyms at depressed.
- Cheerless; gloomy: a disconsolate winter landscape.
Origin of disconsolateMiddle English, from Medieval Latin discōnsōlātus : Latin dis-, dis- + cōnsōlātus, past participle of cōnsōlārī, to console; see console1.
(comparative more disconsolate, superlative most disconsolate)
- (obsolete) Disconsolateness.