- The definition of a complainant is a person who has an issue and is making a charge in a court of law.
An example of a complainant is the plaintiff.
Law a person who files a charge or makes the complaint in court; plaintiff
Origin of complainantMiddle English compleinaunt ; from present participle of Old French complaindre: see complain
- A plaintiff.
- A prosecuting witness in a criminal case.
- A person who files a formal accusation or brings a formal charge.
Old French complaignant, present participle of complaindre.
complainant - Legal Definition
- One who enters a complaint against another in a civil action.
- One who signs and swears to a criminal complaint.