- having color
- of a (specified) color
- of a group other than the Caucasoid
- Old-fashioned black ()
- in South Africa, of racially mixed parentagein this sense, usually sp. Coloured
- altered, influenced, distorted, or exaggerated to some degree: remarks colored by prejudice
- Having color: colored tissue paper.
- also Colored Often Offensive a. Of or belonging to a racial group not categorized as white.b. Black or African-American.c. Of mixed racial descent.
- often Coloured South African Of or belonging to a population grouping made up of persons of mixed racial descent or of certain other nonwhite descent, especially as distinguished during apartheid from blacks, Asians, or whites.
- Distorted or biased, as by irrelevant or incorrect information.
nounpl. colored or coloreds
- also Colored Offensive a. A person belonging to a racial group not categorized as white.b. A black person, especially an African American.c. A person of mixed racial descent.
- often Coloured South African A person belonging to the Coloured population grouping, especially during apartheid.
- coloreds Pieces of laundry that are not light in color.
(comparative more colored, superlative most colored)
- Having a particular color or kind of color.
- Having prominent colors; colorful.
- Influenced pervasively but subtly.
- (US, now dated and potentially offensive) Of skin color other than the white; in particular: black.
- (South Africa, potentially offensive) Of neither black nor white skin color.
- (chiefly historical) Designated for use by colored people (in either the US or South African sense).
- a black drinking fountain; a black hospital
- (US, now dated and offensive) A colored person.
- (laundry) A colored article of clothing.
- simple past tense and past participle of color