Variant of flag
- a piece of cloth or bunting, often attached to a staff, with distinctive colors, patterns, or symbolic devices, used as a national or state symbol, as a signal, etc.; banner; standard; ensign
- Now Rare long feathers or quills, as on a hawk
- the tail of a deer
- the bushy tail of certain dogs, as setters and some hounds
- something, as a tab of metal or cardboard, that is attached to a card, folder, etc. so that it may be found easily, as in a file
- Comput. a character, symbol, etc. used to mark data or a record for special attention
- Music any of the lines extending from a stem, indicating whether the note is an eighth, sixteenth, etc.
Origin: Late Middle English flagge ; from flag, inch(es) obsolete sense “to flutter”
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.