The male swan is called a cob.
cob definition by Webster's New World
- Brit., Dialectal
- a lump or small mass, as of coal
- a leader; chief
- ☆ a corncob
- a male swan
- a short-legged, thickset riding horse
Origin: Middle English probably ; from Low German as in Dutch kobbe ; from Germanic base an unverified form kubb-, something rounded
cob definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A corncob: corn on the cob.
- A male swan.
- A thickset, stocky, short-legged horse.
- A small lump or mass, as of coal.
- A mixture of clay and straw used as a building material.
Origin: Probably from obsolete cob, round object, head, testicle.