- a case with roll film in it, for loading a camera quickly and easily
- a similar case with magnetic tape, for use in a tape recorder, VCR, etc.
Origin of cassetteFrench diminutive of Norman French casse, case
- A small flat case containing two reels and a length of magnetic tape that winds between them, often used in audio and video recorders and players and as a medium for storing data in digital form.
- A lightproof cartridge containing photographic film or plates, used in specially designed cameras.
- A cartridge for holding and winding typewriter or printer ribbon while in the machine.
Origin of cassetteFrench, small box, from Old French, diminutive of Norman French casse, case; see case2.
- A small flat case containing magnetic tape on two reels, used to record and play back audio and video material.
- Any similar small cartridge, such as for a computer disk.
- (photography) A lightproof container for photographic film.
- (genetics) A modular DNA sequence encoding one or more genes for a single biochemical function.
- A set of sprockets mounted onto a splined shaft on the freehub.
- test case