A cassette of camera film.
cassette definition by Webster's New World
- a case with roll film in it, for loading a camera quickly and easily
- a similar case with magnetic tape, for use in a tape recorder, VCR, etc.
Origin: French diminutive of Norman French casse, case
cassette definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A small flat case containing two reels and a length of magnetic tape that winds between them, often used in audio and video recorders and players and as a medium for storing data in digital form.
- A lightproof cartridge containing photographic film or plates, used in specially designed cameras.
- A cartridge for holding and winding typewriter or printer ribbon while in the machine.
Origin: French, small box, from Old French, diminutive of Norman French casse, case; see case2.