- The definition of bye is something that is not as important, or advancing to the next round in a competition without having to play an opponent.
When a football team has an off week and then advances to play a new team next week, this is an example of a bye week.
bye definition by Webster's New World
- something incidental or secondary
- the privilege, granted a contestant in a tournament with, typically, an uneven number of participants, of not being paired with another contestant in the first round
- Cricket a run made on a bowled ball that the batsman does not touch
Origin: variant, variety of by
bye definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A secondary matter; a side issue.
- Sports The position of one who draws no opponent for a round in a tournament and so advances to the next round.
Origin: From by1.
Origin: Short for goodbye.
bye - Phrases/Idioms
by the bye