- The definition of bye is something that is not as important, or advancing to the next round in a competition without having to play an opponent.
When a football team has an off week and then advances to play a new team next week, this is an example of a bye week.
- something incidental or secondary
- the privilege, granted a contestant in a tournament with, typically, an uneven number of participants, of not being paired with another contestant in the first round
- Cricket a run made on a bowled ball that the batsman does not touch
Origin of byevariant, variety of by
by the bye
- A secondary matter; a side issue.
- Sports The position of one who draws no opponent for a round in a tournament and so advances to the next round.
Origin of byeFrom by1.
Origin of byeShort for goodbye.
- (sports) The position of a person or team in a tournament or competition who draws no opponent in a particular round so advances to the next round unopposed, or is awarded points for a win in a league table; also the phantom opponent of such a person or team.
- Craig's Crew plays the bye next week.
- (cricket) An extra scored when the batsmen take runs after the ball has passed the striker without hitting either the bat or the batsman.
- (colloquial) Goodbye.
Shortened form of goodbye.
- Obsolete spelling of by.
- Obsolete spelling of bee.