- The definition of bye is something that is not as important, or advancing to the next round in a competition without having to play an opponent.
When a football team has an off week and then advances to play a new team next week, this is an example of a bye week.
- something incidental or secondary
- the privilege, granted a contestant in a tournament with, typically, an uneven number of participants, of not being paired with another contestant in the first round
- Cricket a run made on a bowled ball that the batsman does not touch
Origin of byevariant, variety of by
by the bye
- A secondary matter; a side issue.
- Sports The position of one who draws no opponent for a round in a tournament and so advances to the next round.
Origin of byeFrom by1.
Origin of byeShort for goodbye.
- (sports) The position of a person or team in a tournament or competition who draws no opponent in a particular round so advances to the next round unopposed, or is awarded points for a win in a league table; also the phantom opponent of such a person or team.
- Craig's Crew plays the bye next week.
- (cricket) An extra scored when the batsmen take runs after the ball has passed the striker without hitting either the bat or the batsman.
Variant form of by, from Old English bī (being near).
- (colloquial) Goodbye.
Shortened form of goodbye.
- Obsolete spelling of by.
- Obsolete spelling of bee.
- (informal) Goodbye: used when the speaker or addressee is departing.
Abbreviation of goodbye.