The breadwinner is defined as someone who earns money to support a family.
The working single mother is an example of the breadwinner.
One whose earnings are the primary source of support for one's dependents.
- A self-employed business owner who is the sole breadwinner for a family of six needs much more life insurance than an unmarried man who is simply looking for a way to make sure his funeral expenses will be paid after his death.
- The amount of money the primary breadwinner from the marriage earns can greatly influence the eventual amount of alimony the other partner is awarded.
- As the primary breadwinner in her marriage, it is expected that her divorce may turn into a battle over alimony payments and the division of assets.
- A less common option is for the mother to become the sole family breadwinner while the father assumes the role of "househusband."
- With the new status as breadwinner came a need for practical undergarments.