- The definition of a meal ticket is someone or something that will take care of you financially or provide you with financial success.
- An example of a meal ticket is having a singing voice that will make you a star.
- An example of a meal ticket is the husband of a trophy wife.
meal ticket definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a ticket entitling the holder to a specified value in meals at a particular restaurant
- Slang a person, job, skill, etc. that one depends on as one's means of support
meal ticket definition by American Heritage Dictionary
nounThe American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- A card or ticket entitling the holder to a meal or meals.
- Informal A person or thing depended on as a source of financial support.
meal ticket - Phrases/Idioms
A person or thing depended on as a source of income, as in Magic Johnson was a real meal ticket for his team, or Her interpersonal skills will be her meal ticket when she goes into sales. This metaphoric expression alludes to the earlier practice of handing out tickets that entitle their holder to a meal. [Early 1900s]