- The definition of an autograph is the signature of a person written with his own hand, especially one written by someone well-known.
When an author signs her name in a book, then that is an example of an autograph.
- To autograph is defined as to sign your name on it.
An example of autograph is when a musician writes his name on a CD for a fan.
autograph definition by Webster's New World
- a signature, handwritten inscription, etc., esp. that of a famous person which is valued as a memento
- a thing written in one's own handwriting; original manuscript; holograph
Origin: Classical Latin autographum, neuter of autographus ; from Classical Greek autographos, written with one's own hand ; from autos, self plush graphein: see graphic
- to write (something) with one's own hand
- to write one's signature on or in
autograph definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A person's own signature or handwriting.
- A manuscript in the author's handwriting.
- To write one's name or signature on or in; sign.
- To write in one's own handwriting.
Origin: Late Latin autographum, from neuter of Latin autographus, written with one's own hand, from Greek autographos : auto-, auto- + graphein, to write; see -graph.
- auˌto·graphˈic, auˌto·graphˈi·cal adjective
- auˌto·graphˈi·cal·ly adverb