- land that is uncultivated, barren, or without vegetation
- a neglected, improperly managed, or intellectually unproductive activity, endeavor, etc.
A wasteland in Australia.
- A city after a bombing attack is an example of a wasteland.
- Visiting a city that doesn't have museums, galleries or studios is an example of an artistic wasteland.
The definition of a wasteland is an area that has been damaged or is lacking in the positive qualities of life.
- Land that is desolate, barren, or ravaged.
- Something that is lacking in intellectual or cultural substance: a critic who considers pop music a cultural wasteland.
- A region with no remaining resources; a desert.
- Ten years of drought had left the area a wasteland
- Any barren or uninteresting place.
- After his experiences, he no longer found western Kansas such a wasteland
- It was a desolate wasteland except for some grazing sheep.
- The pejorative term "wasteland" is proposed to be replaced by the term "urban commons."
- The original Mad Max movie gave no explanation of how Australia, where the film is set in the near future, degenerated into the post-apocalyptic wasteland of the film.
- Lee's ex-wife Dualla committed suicide after the fleet finally discovered Earth and learned that it was a nuclear wasteland.
- Environments will continue to grow, making feats like load-screen-free games (as in Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and the Xbox's SSX 2) more commonplace.