- to produce or deposit (eggs, sperm, or young)
- to bring forth or be the source of (esp. something regarded with contempt and produced in great numbers)
- Hort. to plant with spawn, or mycelium
Origin of spawnMiddle English spaunnen (for an unverified form spaunden) from Anglo-French espaundre from Old French espandre, to shed from Classical Latin expandere: see expand
- the mass of eggs or young produced by fish, mollusks, crustaceans, amphibians, etc.
- something produced, esp. in great quantity; specif., numerous offspring or progeny: usually contemptuous
- the mycelium of fungi, esp. of mushrooms grown to be eaten