- a narrow notch, groove, or opening, as a keyway in a piece of machinery, a slit for a coin in a vending machine, etc.
- any of various openings in the wing or tail surface of an airplane used in connection with a high-lift or control device; specif., an air gap between the wing and an auxiliary airfoil, as an aileron or flap, providing for a smooth flow of air on the upper surface
- a position in a group, series, sequence, etc.
- Informal slot machine: often used in pl.
Origin of slotME, a bar, bolt from Old French esclot from Frankish an unverified form sclot; akin to German schliessen, to lock: see close
transitive verbslot′ted, slot′ting
- to make a slot or slots in
- to place in a particular position within a series or sequence