An example of a pattern is the paper sections a seamstress uses to make a dress; a dress pattern.
An example of a pattern is polka dots.
An example of a pattern is rush hour traffic; a traffic pattern.
An example of pattern is using a store bought shirt as an example to make another one from scratch.
A dress pattern.
- (now rare) A copy. [from 15th c.].
- A representative example. [from 16th c.].
- (US) The material needed to make a piece of clothing. [from 17th c.].
- (metalworking, dated) A full-sized model around which a mould of sand is made, to receive the melted metal. It is usually made of wood and in several parts, so as to be removed from the mould without damage.
- There were no files matching the pattern *.txt.
Wallpaper patterns, the pattern of a novel.
- A composite of traits or features characteristic of an individual or a group.One's pattern of behavior.
- Form and style in an artistic work or body of artistic works.
Traffic pattern, landing pattern.
- A naturally-occurring or random arrangement of shapes, colours etc. which have a regular or decorative effect. [from 19th c.].
We patterned this plan on the previous one. My daughter patterned her military career after her father's.
A flight pattern.