- Jazz with a strong, or primary, accent placed on beats that usually receive a weak, or secondary, accent
- Informal not conforming to the usual pattern or trend; unconventional, unusual, strange, etc.
- Offbeat is defined as a person or thing that doesn't conform to social norms.
An example of offbeat is a man wearing pink tights and a tutu riding his bike around in a typical suburban neighborhood.
- The definition of an offbeat is a beat in music that is not accented.
An example of offbeat is a beat played in a musical piece that you would not clap or tap your feet to because they are not major beats in the music.
(comparative more offbeat, superlative most offbeat)
From off- +"Ž beat; not following the beat (e.g., of a drum that sounds out cadence)
- You can get a funky yarn in an offbeat color and, depending upon how fast you knit or crochet, within a week you might be wearing a top that's similar and yet oh-so-different from what everyone else is sporting!
- Check out the book Offbeat Bride, which features plenty of unconventional wedding gown ideas, as well as other ceremony and reception ideas that will keep your special day outside of the box.
- But when it comes to finding a large selection of funny, weird and otherwise offbeat shower curtains, you might do better looking at different kinds of shops.
- The reality TV series, which scours the United States in search of the most talented person alive, has had a string of offbeat winners.
- These photo sessions are typically staged days, months or even years after the initial wedding, and involve a bride wearing her dress in unusual places or while doing offbeat things that result in a "trashed," or ruined, dress.