(countable and uncountable, plural melons)
- (countable) Any of various plants of the family Cucurbitaceae grown for food, generally not including the cucumber.
- Genus Cucurbita, various musk melons, including the honeydew and the canteloupes, and the horned melon.
- Genus Citrullus, the watermelon and others
- Genus Benincasa, a winter melon
- Genus Momordica, the bitter melon
- (uncountable) The fruit of such plants.
- (uncountable)A light pinkish orange colour, like that of some melon flesh.
- (in the plural, slang) Breasts.
- (countable, slang) The head.
- (countable, Australia, New Zealand, derogatory) A member of the Green Party, or similar environmental group.
- (countable) A mass of adipose tissue found in the forehead of all toothed whales, used to focus and modulate vocalizations.
Old French melon, from Medieval Latin melonem, from Latin melopeponem (“type of pumpkin"), from Ancient Greek Î¼Î·Î»Î¿Ï€ÎÏ€Ï‰Î½ (mÄ“lopepÅn), from Î¼á¿†Î»Î¿Î½ (mÄ“lon, “apple") + Ï€ÎÏ€Ï‰Î½ (pepÅn, “ripe").