- The district is famous for its melons, and also produces wine, olives, wheat and esparto grass.
- Water-melons, sun-flowers and flax, both the last two for oil, are usual crops.
- The size of the melons is specially famous.
- Large quantities of fruits - apples, pears, quinces, peaches, nectarines, apricots, grapes and melons - were exported by special trains to central Europe, where the Turkestan crop was received a short time before the south European supplies ripened.
- Melons and water-melons are also important objects of cultivation.