- involving a hitting and then escaping: used as of an automobile accident in which the driver flees from the scene
- Baseball designating a prearranged play in which a runner on base starts running as the pitch is made and the batter must attempt to hit the ball to protect the runner
- Being or involving the driver of a motor vehicle who leaves the scene of an accident, especially one in which a pedestrian or another vehicle has been struck.
- Baseball Relating to or being a play in which a base runner starts to run on the pitch and the batter attempts to hit the ball to protect the runner.
- Involving or designed for swift specific action or effect: “a day of hit-and-run disturbances by bands of dissident students” ( Alfonso Narvaez )
- (law) The crime of causing an accident, as with a motor vehicle, and leaving without acknowledging responsibility.
- (baseball) A play in baseball where the baserunners leave their base before the batter hits the ball, assuming that the batter will in fact hit the ball and this will give them an advantage.
- (military) The military technique of attacking one place and then quickly moving to another before defenders can react.
- Of, pertaining to, or being a hit-and-run.
(plural hit and runs)