- a human or animal body, esp. a dead one: now mainly a facetious usage
- a complete or comprehensive collection, as of laws or writings of a specified type: the corpus of civil law
- the main body or substance of anything
- the principal, as distinguished from the interest or income, of an estate, fund, etc.
- Anat. the main part of an organ; also, a mass of tissue with a specialized function
Origin of corpusL, body from Indo-European base an unverified form krep-, an unverified form krp-, body, form from source (mid)riff, Old High German href, belly, womb, Sanskrit k?p?, form