- a person who cuts, trims, etc.
- [usually pl.] a tool for cutting or trimming: a barber's clippers
Origin of clipperfor sense, see cutter
- a sharp-bowed, narrow-beamed sailing ship (c. 1830-54) built for great speed
- a modified form of this with less speed and greater cargo capacity
- something regarded as exceptionally swift
- Electronics a circuit designed to limit the amplitude of an output signal to a preset level
Origin of clipperMiddle English from clippen, clip; senses 3 and 4 influenced, influence (?) by Middle Dutch klepper, origin, originally , swift horse from Low German kleppen, to sound like hoofbeats (echoic)