- a fabled Dutch sailor condemned to sail the seas off the Cape of Good Hope until Judgment Day
- his ghostly ship, considered a bad omen by sailors who think they see it
Flying DutchmanFlying Dutchman
- A spectral ship said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope.
- The captain of this ship, a legendary Dutch mariner condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day.
(plural Flying Dutchmen)
- (nautical, mythical) A Dutch-flagged clipper that is very fast sailing, and never makes it to port, seen on the high seas, where upon being hailed, occupants request information on persons long dead, or leave messages for said people. It is considered bad luck to meet said ship.
- (idiomatic) A ship of similar qualities to the Flying Dutchman.
- A ghost ship.