- the act or process of thinking; reflection; meditation; cogitation
- the power of reasoning, or of conceiving ideas; capacity for thinking; intellect; imagination
- a result of thinking; idea, concept, opinion, etc.
- the ideas, principles, opinions, etc. prevalent at a given time or place or among a given people: modern thought in education
- attention; consideration; heed: give it a moment's thought
- mental engrossment; preoccupation; concentration: deep in thought
- intention or expectation: no thought of leaving
Origin of thoughtMiddle English thouht from Old English thoht from Proto-Germanic an unverified form thanht, preterit of an unverified form thankjan (from source Old English thencan: see think)