- Yourself is defined as the one that is you.
An example of yourself used as a pronoun is in the sentence, "You should take care of yourself," which means that you should take care of your own body and situation.
- a form of you, used:
- as an intensifier: you yourself told me
- as a reflexive: you must protect yourselves
- with the meaning “your real, true, or actual self” [you are not yourself when you're screaming at us] ( in this construction your functions as an adjective and self as a noun, and they may be separated: your own sweet self
- oneself: it is best to do it yourself
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- That one identical with you:a. Used reflexively as the direct or indirect object of a verb or as the object of a preposition: Did you buy yourself a gift?b. Used for emphasis: You yourself were certain of the facts.c. Used in an absolute construction: In office yourself, you helped push the bill along.
- Your normal or healthy condition: Are you feeling yourself again? See Usage Note at myself.