- The definition of a yacht is a medium or large luxury sailboat or ship that is used to cruise around or race.
A medium-sized boat that is used to sail from port to port in the Mediterranean is an example of a yacht.
A luxury yacht.
Origin of yachtDutch jacht, earlier jaghte, short for jaghtschip, pursuit ship (i.e., against pirates) ; from jaght, a hunt ; from jagen, to chase + schip, a ship
intransitive verbyacht·ed, yacht·ing, yachts
Origin of yachtProbably obsolete Norwegian jagt, from Middle Low German jacht, short for jachtschip : jagen, to chase (from Old High German jagōn) + schip, ship.
- A slick and light ship for making pleasure trips or racing on water, having sails but often motor-powered. At times used as a residence offshore on a dock.
- "Would you like to go sailing on my uncleâ€™s yacht?"
- "You are a true yachtsman! Are you a member of the local yacht club?"
- Any vessel used for private, noncommercial purposes.
(third-person singular simple present yachts, present participle yachting, simple past and past participle yachted)
Circa 1557; variant of yaught, earlier yeaghe (â€œlight, fast-sailing shipâ€), from Dutch jacht ("hunt"), in older spelling jaght(e), short for jaghtschip, jageschip (â€œlight sailing vessel, fast pirate shipâ€), literally, "pursuit ship", compound of jagen (â€œto hunt, chaseâ€) and schip (â€œshipâ€) (see ship), from Proto-Germanic *jagÅnÄ… (cf. West Frisian jeie, German jagen, Swedish jaga), from Proto-Indo-European *yegÊ°o- (compare Irish Ã©ad (â€œjealousyâ€), Russian ÑÑ€Ñ‹Ð¹ (jÃ¡ryj, â€œfuriousâ€), Albanian gjah (â€œhuntâ€), Ancient Greek Î¶Î·Ï„ÎÏ‰ (zÄ“tÃ©Å, â€œto search, seekâ€), Sanskrit à¤¯à¤µà¤¨ (yÄvana, â€œbarbarian; agressorâ€), à¤¯à¤¤à¥à¤¨ (yÄtna, â€œzealâ€)).
In the 16th century the Dutch built light, fast ships to chase the ships of pirates and smugglers from the coast. The ship was introduced to England in 1660 when the Dutch East India Company presented one to King Charles II, who used it as a pleasure boat, after which it was copied by British shipbuilders as a pleasure craft for wealthy gentlemen.