A dinghy tied at the dock.
dinghy definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. dinghies
- a rowboat used originally on the rivers of India
- a small boat carried on a ship
- a small boat used as a tender as to a yacht
- a small, single-masted racing boat
- an inflatable life raft
Origin: Hindi ḍīṅgi
Also sp. dingey
dinghy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. din·ghies
- A small open boat carried as a tender, lifeboat, or pleasure craft on a larger boat.
- A small rowboat.
- An inflatable rubber life raft.
Origin: Hindi ḍiṁgī, variant of ḍeṁgī, ḍeṁgā, float, raft.