- in the direction against the current of a stream
- at or toward the beginning of some process, course of activity, etc.
- The definition of upstream is against the current, or toward the beginning.
An example of upstream used as an adjective is the phrase "an upstream swim," which means a swim against the current.
- Upstream is defined as against the current or toward the starting point.
An example of upstream used as an adverb is in the place "to swim upstream," which means to swim against the current.
- Toward or closer to the source of a stream; in the direction opposite to that of the current: paddling upstream.
- At an earlier point in a production process or supply chain.
- Being or moving closer to the source of a stream; in the direction opposite to that of the current: upstream traffic; an upstream dam.
- Earlier in a production process or supply chain.
- against the current
upstream - Computer Definition
The signal direction from the customer premises to the network edge. See also downstream.