- going alternately up and down, to and fro, etc.
- variable; fluctuating
And elevator is something that goes up-and-down.
- An example of up-and-down is the direction an elevator goes.
- An example of up-and-down is a person who changes quickly from happy to sad.
- An example of up-and-down is a person standing straight.
The definition of up-and-down is a person or thing that goes upward and then downward.
- Characterized by or exhibiting an alternating upward and downward movement.
- Variable; changeable.
- Like a magnet, San Francisco has long pulled people to its up-and-down hills, spectacular scenes, and its unique and unrestrained cosmopolitan character.
- Swimsuits that feature stripes or patterns that run in a diagonal up-and-down direction are good for taking focus away from the stomach area.
- An up-and-down motion of the handle controls the flow of the water.
- One motor controls the up-and-down movements of the machine while the other controls eight various horizontal movements.
- Having grown up within fortifications, where every foot of ground was precious, it is mostly, in spite of recent improvements, a labyrinth of narrow, tortuous, up-and-down streets, accommodating themselves to the irregularities of the ground, few of them fit for wheel carriages.