- The definition of a tomb is a vault or chamber where dead people are buried.
An example of a tomb is an underground room with coffins.
tomb definition by Webster's New World
- a vault, chamber, or grave for the dead
- a burial monument or cenotaph
Origin: Middle English toumbe ; from Anglo-French tumbe (OFr tombe) ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin tumba ; from Classical Greek tymbos, tomb, funeral mound ; from Indo-European an unverified form tu-, variant, variety of base an unverified form teu-, to swell from source thumb, tumor
tomb definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A grave or other place of burial.
- A vault or chamber for burial of the dead.
- A monument commemorating the dead.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French tombe, from Late Latin tumba, from Greek tumbos; see teuə- in Indo-European roots.
tomb - Phrases/Idioms