- The definition of succulent is something tender, tasty and delicious, or a plant with thick and fleshy leaves.
- A delicious, perfectly cooked pot roast is an example of something that would be described as a succulent meal.
- A cactus is an example of a plant that would be described as a succulent plant.
- full of juice; juicy
- full of interest, vigor, etc.; not dry or dull
- Bot. having thick, fleshy tissues for storing water, as a cactus
Origin: L succulentus from sucus, juice: see suck
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Full of juice or sap; juicy.
- Botany Having thick, fleshy, water-storing leaves or stems.
- Highly interesting or enjoyable; delectable: a succulent bit of gossip.
Origin: Latin succulentus, from succus, juice; see seuə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- sucˈcu·lence, sucˈcu·len·cy noun
- sucˈcu·lent·ly adverb
succulent - Science Definition
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.