stony definition by Webster's New World
adjective stonier, stoniest
- covered with or having many stones
- of or like stone; specif.,
- unfeeling; pitiless
- cold; fixed; rigid
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English stanig
stony definition by American Heritage Dictionary
also ston·eyadjective ston·i·er, ston·i·est
- Covered with or full of stones: a stony beach.
- Resembling stone, as in hardness.
- a. Hardhearted and unfeeling; unemotional.b. Exhibiting no feeling or warmth; impassive: a stony expression.
- Emotionally numbing or paralyzing: a stony feeling of fear.
- stonˈi·ly adverb
- stonˈi·ness noun